Sunday, August 29, 2021

We or Me?

 I believe there exists a major "Me or We" crisis in our land. The "we" side of the equation is one where "we" place the value of the whole in front of the wants of self. The "me" factor is where the rub lies, on that end of the spectrum the wants and "needs" of the individual far outweigh the good of all. In my opinion, the concern in our society is that we are fast becoming a nation of individuals looking out for old number 1 first, when in reality the purpose of our lives has very little to do with "me" and has everything to do with "we". 

I know that face coverings or "masks" are a political issue and I surely do not want this to be a political post, so in today's Flat Tire Ministry Thought, I am going to attempt to steer clear of personal and or political viewpoints and instead focus on the social context of this alarming mind shift our society has gradually morphed towards. What I see and what I hear are two distinct mindsets on the question of do we mask as a community, state, or society, or are the concerns of "me" more important and masking up is one of complete personal choice. So, keep in mind as we dig a bit deeper into today's FTM, this is not really all about masks. You can substitute pretty much anything that is going on in society and make the same cost analysis. 

Why do people choose to wear masks? Based on the guidance from national and international health agencies, the top reason that people should wear a mask is to lessen the chance of spreading the virus to others. In general, wearing a mask is not about keeping the individual from getting the virus, but instead it is more about the individual being exposed to the virus, possibly contracting the virus, and then going to home, school, or work and spreading the virus to those that the individual will come in contact with throughout the day. 

Before we go any further, for argument purposes, let's substitute the wearing a mask scenario with smoking cigarettes inside public places. Why did our society change from one that allowed people to smoke cigarettes in pretty much every public place imaginable to one where now there is hardly a public interior setting where someone would even consider it okay to lite up? Well it surely wasn't because we thought that the chances of the individual smoking would have a higher risk of developing cancer if he or she smoked in a restaurant. It was all about the risks associated with the rest of the room breathing in the second-hand smoke and the larger "we" group developing cancer. Ok? Can we agree on that comparison? So, the point to garner here is "we" do things to protect others and assure the well-being of the whole over the wants of the individual. Sure, it is inconvenient for the individual to walk outside to a safe smoking area, yet it is advantageous to the larger group for that person to do what is surely best for everyone else that chooses not to smoke. Yet I digress, let's get back to our discussion about the me or we mentality.

Do "we" know if masks make a difference? No, but agencies that have protected our citizenry from harmful or deadly situations in the past recommend the wearing of face coverings to mitigate the risks of spreading the virus. Do "we" know for a fact that wearing a face covering is a health risk for those wearing a mask? No, it may be a health risk to the individual, but again are we placing the individuals comfort before the well-being of the whole? We or me? I mean, I do not enjoy wearing a mask, but if wearing a mask is deemed beneficial and if it has the potential to help negate the spread of a virus to others I live with, work with, and share life with, does it really matter if I like to wear a mask or not? No, we wear a mask to support others before serving self. 

We should wear a face covering for our vulnerable children and grandchildren. We should choose to support wearing a face covering to protect a spouse that is more vulnerable to this deadly virus due to a health condition that you or I may not have to deal with in our "me" world. Other health compromised family members, co-workers, the individual you will meet this week for the first time, "we" should choose to wear a face covering for all of them and leave the "me" aspect out of the equation. 

On the flip side of that coin is the mindset that wearing a face covering is a "me" choice and if "me" doesn't want to wear a face covering, then "me" should not have to wear one. I get it, it is uncomfortable, it makes breathing more of a challenge for some, and the effectiveness of wearing a mask to combat the spread of this virus is still more guesstimation as opposed to scientific fact, but is wearing a face covering a decision based on how it is impacting "me" or is it about how wearing a mask potentially provides an extra layer of protection for those around me in my space each and every day?

The original premise of today's FTM was to spur you to think more about how our society has become one deeply entrenched in how something impacts "me" and less and less about how my decisions will affect the "we" in our own personal world. The more "we" place our emphasis on "me", I fear "we" are moving away from the core essential qualities that make us different from most other species on this planet. "We" must look at how our actions and choices will impact the whole of our communities, neighborhoods, schools, and workplaces. Are we to be a society that places the value of each person individually above what is best for others instead of self? Will we be a "we" society or are we destined to be all about "me"? The apostle Paul directed us to be more "we" oriented with this scripture, "Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others." Philippians 2:4 

Just as the apostle Paul directs us to place serving others at the top of our priorities, there is no other example of placing the needs of others in front of personal interests than that of Jesus. Jesus was sent to earth to be a sacrifice for others from the moment of His conception until the moment He whispered His last request, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” Luke 23:34. Do I think Jesus was so pumped about being crucified for the very people that were shouting for Him to be sentenced to die a criminal's death? No. Scripture tells us that Jesus pleaded with His father to be spared persecution, but He relented that if being pardoned wasn't to be the case then God's will be done. (Luke 22:42). We over Me? Could there be a better example to follow? Placing the needs of others first by willingly sacrificing personal interests for the betterment of the whole group. Jesus certainly gives us a model in our society yesterday, today, and for all of our tomorrows.

Finishing where we started, this is not about wearing a mask. We as a society must decide will "we" go forward placing the needs of the whole over the demands of "me", or will "we" become the land of the "me" and place every decision in line based on the impact on me and my little world. 

 

Have I started back wearing a mask everywhere, every day? No, because I am dreading it. I don't like it, it aggravates me, and I feel like it makes me drowsy having to breathe in my own carbon dioxide as I exhale. I've seen reports of people contracting COVID-19 and they wore a mask, so I'm not sure if it even works! I don't want to increase the chances of health concerns for my children by having them wear a face covering, and I don't want to wear a mask at meetings because you can't see the other people's faces.

 The above is my own personal confession. Now go back and read the last paragraph again. How many times have you said one of these statements or something similar throughout the pandemic? Where is the emphasis in each of the statements above? They are all about "me". That is the fear I have for our society. "Me" exists to serve the "we" of our society. This is not about a mask or face covering, this is about the moral fabric of our culture. Will we continue to look only at how something impacts "me"? Or are "we" to be a country founded on the principle of "We the people...."

"Lord God Almighty, may I move myself away from a "me" first mentality and may I place the value of the whole (we) in front of my thoughts, plans, and actions. May I use your example of personal sacrifice as a guiding light to see how I should move forward today, tomorrow, and throughout this life you have given me to live serving others for you. Amen"

Coach Carter





No comments:

Post a Comment