Sunday, August 22, 2021

Don't Hesitate to Motivate

 For me, I see each of us having two choices. We can either be building people up or we can spend our time intentionally or unintentionally bringing people down. Optimist or pessimist, half-full or half empty, motivator or deterrent there just isn't much left in the middle. To that point, someone may think they can be neither supportive or degrading by just staying out of the picture, but I would counter that your inaction is actually debilitating those you should be supporting and growing. So, since we have established that we are either growing a garden or we are making our rounds with the zero turn, I strongly encourage you to check your motivation gauge to determine where you are on the motivation without hesitation scale. 


I tell this story often, mainly because it is true, but more importantly because I want others to see the power in providing even the smallest amount of encouragement in someone's life. At age 23 I was about as rooted in what I was going to "grow up to be" as a tumbleweed in one of those old-timey wild west movies rolling across the screen blown by whichever direction the wind happened to be blowing. I was fortunate to be asked by a family friend, Andy Taylor, to help start middle school wrestling at East Ridge Middle School. Since wrestling had been my sport of choice in high school, I considered this a grand opportunity. After the first few years Andy moved to another school and I was able to stay on to coach with the support of Ms. Gail Rice who allowed me to pretty much be the coach of the team. The principal of the school, Glen Kanipe, came up to me one day and remarked that he thought I did a really good job working with kids and asked if I had ever considered becoming a teacher. With complete sincerity, I can firmly admit that I had never at that point considered teaching as a potential career option, but when Mr. Kanipe provided that small offer of encouragement my life would never be the same. To summarize what that little bit of encouragement ignited looks something like this. I am currently in my 30th year of being an educator and love every minute of each day I am given to work with and support student success. Close to 35 years of coaching wrestling, volleyball, and small stints as a cross country and track coach. Created Extreme Wrestling and Extreme Volleyball which has supported numerous boys and girls in their pursuit of improving their skill sets. 16 years of classroom teaching, 9 years as an elementary school principal (GO TORNADOS!!), and I am currently in my fifth year as the Director of Career and Technical Education (CTE) for our school system. In 2018, I was inducted into the College Wrestling Hall of Fame Tennessee Chapter for a lifetime of service award, and I am still coaching competitive volleyball with one of my former student/athletes in his East Tennessee Genesis Volleyball Club. All of that from a simple, short remark that charted my destiny in life. 


Hebrews 10:24 encourages us with this call to action, "Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works." What if we each took the time today to stop and encourage a child to keep trying to ride that wheelie on their bike? What if you shared with that student in your class that you have never seen anyone divide fractions as good as they do? And what if you looked for the good in those you live with, work with, or share your time each day with, and then you told them something positive and/or uplifting about their life that they can't see. What if your comment to someone turned a life around and the person went on to find a cure for the COVID-19 virus that would eradicate it from the world?
You can lift someone up with your inspiring, motivational remarks, don't stop and don't ever hesitate to motivate! "Never give up, never quit, and always give your best"


Coach Carter


 

No comments:

Post a Comment