"This is the day that the Lord hath made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!" Psalm 118:24
I began journaling my prayers several years ago and that has made a tremendous difference in my prayer life. Not only has my focus improved on what I am praying about, but it has also had a lasting influence on my ability to listen and hear God's guidance and direction for this life He has so generously given me to live. My faith tells me that our prayers are just as much about hearing from God's Holy Spirit as it is seeking God's Holy Spirit to intervene on our behalf. When we start listening rather than always asking for answers to our situations, our focus shifts from someone who is always wanting, to a person who is always grateful and thankful seeking to serve and grow in God's will and way. For our Flat Tire Ministries Thought for the Day, I would like to share one of my recent daily prayers. Not that my prayers are a model to follow, but more so this particular prayer is one where I believe the Holy Spirit said to me, I made this day, will you rejoice in it and just be thankful for it?
"Father God, You have given me this new day and this gift has been given to all mankind that wakes up today. There are different responses to Your gift, I pray that mine will be an attitude of appreciation and a sense of responsibility to not waste the gift from the Giver. Some will walk through the motions and some never realize they have a gift laid in their lap. For some they will complain about the day. From the moment they finally roll out of bed, they will complain about having to go to work, they will complain about the long line at their coffee drive-thru, they will be the most frequent contributor to the complaint department at work, and their friends and family will endure another day of gloom and doom that this person exudes. Some will embrace this day and they will impact their world just because that is who they are. Father God I want to be like that person each day, every day that you give me to live. Will the day be a great day every day? Of course not, but I pray that I will choose how I respond to the day. I know my approach to the day will be determined by how I perceive the things tha come my way. Challenges that present opportunities or opportunities that make challenges. Lord there will be some that do not receive this day. For a certain percentage of the population today will be their last day to wake or not wake. Father, I pray that I won't waste this day, and that I won't assume that tomorrow will be my next day I have to make a difference. I pray for those who do not have an appreciation for the gift of this day, and I ask that they will be able to see your day and the gift that they have received. Amen"
After typing out the prayer from my journal, I reflected on the purpose of this prayer that I submitted to our Creator and our Redeemer and concluded that this prayer isn't as much about what I was going to do with the gift of the day, but more about praying that I would be submissive to what God wants me to do today. The gift of this day wasn't for me to necessarily benefit personally, but rather the gift of the day is to have the opportunity to serve others, share the Good News of God's forgiveness, and His offer of eternal life through forgiveness of sins and the redemption of our heart and soul.
As I continue praying, and as each of you open your heart and mind to God's will for your life, my prayer is that we become empty vessels eager to be filled with God's Holy Spirit! Eager to serve others before ourselves, and swift to lift up those who are downtrodden and in need. Ask yourself this question today. "Will today be a gift that God has given me for the benefit of those I come in contact with today?" May your days be focused on service before self and may your plans be directed by the same God who created Heaven and earth.
Coach Carter
I pray that each day i try to thank The Lord for the gift of that day i want to be a blessing thank you
ReplyDelete