Sunday, September 20, 2026

"Be"

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

One of my distinct childhood memories is of a time as a small lad being challenged by my older brother and some of his friends to knock down a wasp nest that was situated on an old swingset that we had all outgrown. The teens told me that if I would knock down that nest they would let me go with them to the creek and around the farm. That was all the motivation I needed, being eight years younger than Bob and his friends, I would do pretty much anything to hang out with them. So I grabbed what I thought was a long pole and stealthily approached the bee's haven, nestled right there in the crossbeam section of the rusted swingset. You could say I was on guard, but unfortunately, the wasps were more on guard than I. As memory serves me, three wasps flanking me, one to the right, one to the left, and one straight down the middle landed on my face right between the eyes. What proceeded to happen next was a great deal of pain and swelling to my eyes, which led to screaming and crying from a six year old, and one mad Mamaw Whetsel who took a switch after not only Bob, but the other boys as well. Awwwhhhh, those were the days! 

That "bee" memory serves as the impetus for today's Flat Tire Thought. Jesus spent the majority of his time here on earth healing the sick, teaching all that would listen, and preparing us for life after His earthly death and resurrection. In many instances Jesus used parables and stories to drive home his point. There's definitely  multiple takeaways to be learned in my "bee" story above, yet the stories that Jesus shared were life lessons that have served hundreds of generations of followers of God our Heavenly Father. In particular is a warning that Jesus shared with His disciples in the Book of John. I shared John 16:33 at the beginning of the message today, but let me give you Chuck's paraphrase of this verse. Jesus warned His disciples and all of us to "be" on guard because we will "be" under attack in this world. But we can "be" comforted because Jesus has already conquered this world. As Jesus neared the time of His arrest and death on the cross, he warned the disciples to "be" on guard, because in this life they would "be" under attack. Just as the bees attacked me when I approached their nest with ill intent in mind, Jesus warned us that we, much like the bees in that nest, will "be" under attack in this world. 

The bees in the nest attacked me in a physical manner which I definitely can say I remember that feeling! The attacks Jesus warned against may not be physical in nature, yet the attacks that we face today sting more deadly than the venom of a nest full of wasps! Marriages will come under attack as pressure mounts and some folks check out. Drug and alcohol addiction is an attack that has decimated individuals and families. Abuse, neglect, debt, or crime, all of these are prevalent in our society today, and Jesus warned us in advance, "be" on guard, because you will "be" under attack. That was the warning in the state of "being" that Jesus shared. Yet in spite of the warnings that Jesus shared, he continued to encourage and comfort us with the rest of his message. 

"Be" of good cheer, because I have overcome the world and I will "be" with you to comfort you and support you! That was the promise of Jesus and His promises hold true today. In the Book of Hebrews, verse 13:5 tells us that He will "never leave us nor forsake us", so we have His promise to "be" with us and to never leave us on our own as we face the "bees" of our life's journey. We can "be" assured, God is with you, He knows where you are and He knows what you need even before you ask. I challenge you today, "be" diligent in prayer, "be" confident in the power of our Lord and Savior, and "be"aware that you are never alone nor will you ever "be". 

Coach Carter



No comments:

Post a Comment