Sunday, August 16, 2026

The Fallacy of Standing Still

 Having worked for ten years as an elementary school principal I distinctly remember hearing phrases such as, "Go over there and stand still for just one minute" countless times. In my own life as a grandfather to seven little girls, I have heard their parents direct their girls to "stand still" and to quit squirming around. I'm not so sure we were asking for something that is even possible. Not that young children can't stay in one place, but I'm thinking more along the lines of asking anyone to "stand still". I believe that term is a misnomer and for us, holding to the mindset of standing still or staying put isn't really possible. You see I don't believe anything actually stands still. We have all heard that at specific times in our history, "time stood still", but did it? I'm pretty sure the clock continued to click and seconds still became minutes and minutes became hours, and hours became days. For our purpose today, I would go as far to say that nothing living stands still. 

Attempting to stand still and maintain the status quo of our lives actually initiates a motion. For me that motion would be moving backwards. What do I mean here? It is my opinion that by attempting to stay put and not move forward then we are in essence making a choice to move backwards. Progress only happens when we move forward, and again progress is not achieved without moving forward. For the human race, the moment we feel that we have learned everything, then we have set our life's GPS to fall backwards as new methodologies and technologies are created and employed. That is why the mindset of being a "lifelong learner" is so important. 

I've stated a couple of times today that the concept of standing still actually serves as fuel for moving  backwards. This isn't just Chuck's opinion. Listen to the words of the wisest man in the annals of history. "Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance..." Proverbs 1:5. If Solomon said to "add to their learning" and to go "get guidance" he was basically saying go, grow, and then go some more! Knowledge and growth don't come to us through osmosis. To "add" and to "get" are action verbs not passive and definitely not innate. Gaining knowledge is advice that is planted over and over throughout the Book of Proverbs and also in the Book of Ecclesiastes both penned by King Solomon. Why would the wisest and arguably the smartest man in history over and over again direct people to find knowledge and gain wisdom? (Proverbs 3:13, Proverbs 4:7, Proverbs 16:16, and Proverbs 18:15 just to name a few examples). Solomon knew that to settle in on the knowledge base where you are is the recipe for mediocrity and ultimately a declining mind, decreased initiative, and the beginning of the end of progress. Thus if you ain't moving forward, you sure aren't standing still, you are effectively moving backwards. 

Why is being complacent with the knowledge base so detrimental to ourselves and to society? Things change, we can't assume that the knowledge we gained as a youth will be sufficient for us as adults. As a leader I can't assume the skill and knowledge I have today will ever be sufficient for me as a change agent for the betterment of the people I serve in my leadership role. As soon as I assume I have all the answers and I do not need to continue learning and growing, I have placed myself and those I work alongside into reverse gear. This world does not stand still nor should it. Just look at the example of the personal computer. If mankind had settled when a personal computer had to be operated at a desk with space for a monitor, keypad, and the computer tower, we wouldn't have our very own personal computer readily available anywhere we go right there in our pocket. Horse and buggy or automobile, campfire or microwave, the list goes on and on. We advance in society because we go forward in our thinking and our perspective on life. 

In my own life, I live by the motto of "You gotta go if you want to grow", to which the alternative is just as true, "If you don't go, do not expect to grow". And standing still attempting to assume you have all the knowledge in life you will ever need is not advisable nor productive. The Apostle Paul summed it up like this, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is, His good, pleasing, and perfect will." Romans 12:2. A dear friend of mine who has passed would often say, "If you're waiting on me, you are backing up!" Do not allow your life to be parked in the parking lot, go, grow, and improve the world in which you live each day, every day! 

Coach Carter



No comments:

Post a Comment