Sunday, August 23, 2026

Giants are Big

"Giants are Big". Redundant statement? Possibly, but I contest that many of us face giants everyday, yet we are either sidestepping them, avoiding the inevitable face-off, or we are allowing ourselves to exist in the shadow of a giant that is blocking out our sunshine. The good news is giants are not invincible, and the better news is you don't have to face a giant alone! 

When we think of giants our minds race back to our childhood with visions of magic beans and a beanstalk that leads to a giant's castle beyond the clouds. It may also be possible that the image you envision is one of a young man slinging a smooth river rock into the forehead of the Philistine giant Goliath. You could say our heroes of each story faced their giant and came out victorious. That would be the summarized version of the stories, but as in any summary, the details often get left behind for the sake of time and space. If you will allow me, I'd like to go just a tad bit deeper. 

First, we need to define what a giant is beyond the 8 ft. tall image that circles around in our heads. Being 5'7" pretty much anyone standing taller than six feet tall is a giant in my line of sight! But, giants are not always flesh and bone, as a matter of fact, the majority of giants that we face would be more figurative in stature rather than Mt. Everest resting directly in front of us. Relationship giants, substance abuse giants, financial giants, health, job, or loss of a loved one giants are real and they can block out the Son's light if we aren't careful. Ignoring or denying a giant won't dismiss its power over us. When the Israelites were being challenged daily to send out a warrior to battle Goliath they pretty much tried to ignore the challenge. It was like, not me, you go! There wasn't a soldier in the ranks that was willing to step up and face this giant of a man. Thus, the giant stood tall right there in their face. Nothing changed until a shepherd boy made the decision to trust in the Lord and step out on the battlefield armed with a slingshot and three river rocks. Or so it would seem. Actually, David was not the underdog that he has been labeled down through history, David did not face Goliath alone, David confidently walked out to face this giant with the power and strength of God flowing through his youthful body! "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied." I Samuel 17:45. Giants are big, our God is bigger! 

Whatever your giant looks like doesn't really matter. What matters is it is standing in front of you and holding you back from fulfilling God's purpose for this life He gave you to live. Facing a giant is a challenge, facing a giant all on your own is neither advisable nor strategic. As mentioned above, you do not have to face your giant on your own. The prophet Isaiah shared these words of encouragement from God "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10. After David later became King of Israel he continued to place his trust in God as he faced physical, spiritual, and other figurative giants. The one thing that David remained steadfast in was his trust in God to walk with him as he faced any giant that stood in his way. "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise - in God I trust and am not afraid." Psalm 56:3-4.  

You are not alone. The giant is big, because giants are big, but our God is bigger, because God is bigger than any giant, mountain, or trial you are facing. Whatever valley you are walking through, or whatever giant it is that is attempting to steal your joy, I pray you will rely on a few things from our time together today. Giants are real and they can beat you up and toss you around if you allow them to, but you do not have to face your giant all alone. God is near, He walks with us and He makes a way when it appears that there is no way to surmount that mountain in front of you. Giants are big, but our God is bigger! Seek Him, trust Him, and walk with Him each day!

Coach Carter







No comments:

Post a Comment