Sunday, July 26, 2026

The Bounce Back Factor Revisited

As I was preparing for this week's message, I did a little search of all of the previous posts with the goal in mind of not repeating myself in sharing an encouraging message of hope. I found two previous FTMs with the idea of "bouncing back" from adversity and affliction as the base topic, yet I believe today's "bounce" message compliments the two previous posts and the idea of getting back up when you get knocked down can't be stressed too much! Adversity comes to us all, that's not being pessimistic, just being real. How each of us handles that adversity is where the "rubber" hits the road ... and then bounces back up! I hope you enjoy today's scriptures  and the song lyrics I've linked to today's bouncing back message of hope as much as I have, all I can say is "Thank you Lord!" Enjoy the read. 

The Apostle Paul serves as an excellent example of a "bounce back" kinda guy or gal in the Bible. Not that there isn't a plethora of other candidates, Joseph, Moses, David, Esther, Ruth, Peter, and most certainly Jesus just to name a few, but what motivates me from the life of Paul is how he was transformed through adversity to move from persecutor of Christians to the man credited with writing the majority of the New Testament. That transformation is what I want to focus on today. I want to suggest that the through the adversity Paul endured, he was being formulated and solidified into an amazing advocate for Christianity. In other words, without the negative Paul may have never learned to bounce back to where he was supposed to be in God's kingdom. 

I think we all would agree, rubber is one of the most bounciest substances we have at our disposal. The elasticity and durability of rubber is accomplished through a multi-step process in which the raw substance is transformed to the rubber bouncy ball I've mentioned. Let's just say there's quite a bit of stretching and enduring heat involved in the drawn out process. That provides us with our comparison of the process by which we ourselves become more elastic and more capable of bouncing back and bouncing higher depending on how well we embrace the process of us becoming more of what God intended us to be. Key concept to remember here: without the multi-step process of creating rubber, rubber just remains a sticky tree sap. We too won't become a person who can "bounce back" from the adversities of life unless we have developed the necessary growth mindset through those downward trajectory events in our lives that allow us to go through the process of learning how to bounce back from the adversity or afflictions we must endure and eventually overcome. 

Paul's transformation is a prime example of how God uses this process of taking the sticky tree sap of our souls and converting it to a bounce back type of man or woman. Paul's life teaches us that we must take adversity and not only embrace it as an opportunity to grow, but also realize that without that adversity we really don't have a life to transform. In II Corinthians 6:1-10 Paul describes how the hard times are what allowed him to appreciate the better times and how through adverse conditions he was then enabled to see the positive outcomes from his life's situations. In verses 1-7 Paul sets the stage for his statement of faith by sharing an overview of what endurance and perseverance look like in the face of adversity: "As God's co-workers we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain. For he says, "in the time of my favor I heard you and in the day of salvation I helped you." I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation. We put no stumbling block in anyone's path, so that our ministry will not be discredited. Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; in truthful speech and in the power of God with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left;" II Corinthians 6:1-7. From there the rest of today's scripture provides a rhythmic visual of how life's challenges may become the impetus by which transformation begins. "Through glory and dishonor (bounce), bad report and good report, (bounce), genuine, yet regarded as imposters, (bounce), known, yet regarded as unknown; (bounce) dying, and yet we live on; (bounce) beaten, and yet not killed; (bounce) sorrowful, yet always rejoicing, (bounce), yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything. (bounce). Can we all come to an agreement and admit that without the hard and challenging times in this world that we endure, the more challenging it will be for us to overcome the obstacles we face in our life's journey. It is essential that we learn to bounce and recover to move forward and succeed.   

To bring today's message to a close I want to share a song with the lyrics that I feel captures the essence of the positive benefits of not just enduring but growing through the adversities in our lives. Musical artists Ben Fuller and Carrie Underwood have a duet that shares the message that although we would all like to think that an easy road with no potholes or detours would be best, without us learning how to grow through adversity we lose the opportunity to experience God's grace and His love. His love for us holds us up and illuminates our path so that we can see that the light is not at the end of the tunnel, but instead His light is there with us in the tunnels of life. Embrace the struggle, persevere to prosper, and endure to achieve everlasting! Enjoy the ride. 

Coach Carter



1 comment:

  1. Each week is an encouragement i look forward to your words each week thank you myself and others have had to learn to over cover many obstacles in our life im so thankful Gods word which i depend on God Bless

    ReplyDelete