Sunday, January 21, 2024

What Is Wrong with the World?

When I think about the title of today's Flat Tire Thought, the phrase comes to mind "The more things change the more they stay the same." Over 100 years ago in 1910, the London Times sent out a request asking their readers to submit essays responding to the following question, "What is wrong with the world? The responses varied, but the finger-pointing was not so very unique. The government is failing us, people are lazy, greedy, self-centered, or you fill in the ______ with whatever adjective comes to mind. You see what was going on 100 years ago is pretty much the same thing that was going on 200 years ago, 500 years ago, and honestly down through modernized history. If the truth was being told, I'd guess the caveman would have pointed his finger at the Neanderthal in the next cave over if he had been asked what was wrong with the world back then.

 

At the turn of the century the advent of television had not been achieved yet, so most people still read the paper or listened in on the family radio for the news of what was going on in the world. As do most people today, after reading the news, listening to a broadcast, or just talking to the cashier at the local grocer's checkout, folks just seem to shake their heads and lament, "What is wrong with the world today?" Well the responses to the London Times were filled with explanations of what the problem was with the world today and pretty much most everyone was able to point out who exactly was behind the downfall of early 20th century society. That is until the editors opened the letter from the English writer and philosopher G.K. Chesterton. Mr. Chesterton's letter back to the London Times read, "Dear Sirs, I am." In essence his brief response was saying I am what is wrong with our world today. 

 

The world we live in today is no different from the world that had shaped the journalistic view of the London Times in 1910. Drug addictions, human trafficking, mental stability, crime, hatred of our fellow man, may come in different forms, but the fact is the world hasn't changed that much. What I wonder is, how many of us today share the same sentiments of G.K. Chesterton? "I am the problem with the world today." If I am concerned, if I see injustice, or if I just don't like the way things are headed, then it is up to me to do something about it. Shaking my head and pointing my finger will not fix anything. Blaming someone else or a group of someone elses won't help either. I'm reminded of the famous words of Gandhi, "Be the change you wish to see in the world". It is easy to ask why doesn't somebody do something about this or that, but it takes a great deal of desire to help others or step up and take ownership for the condition of the world we live in today. 

 

May I clarify one final point. It isn't about who is right or wrong on the condition of our world. We each have our own opinion and at the end of the day we are not the judge and we will not be involved in the final judgement. Our job involves what we can do to make the world in which we live a better place. If you see something that makes you shake your head, then chances are you need to do something about it other than just shake your head. And rest assured I am not pointing my finger at anyone other than myself. I've got work to do and I am thankful that God has given me breath in my lungs and ground under my feet so that I can make a difference each day. Am I doing all I can? Nope. Can I do more? Yep. Challenge for the day, what will you do when God calls on you to step up and make a difference in this world that is hurting and in need? Will you point your finger and say "What is wrong with this world?" Or will you do as the prophet Isaiah did in Isaiah 6:8 when God called out looking for someone to step up, “Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I; send me!’ 

 

Coach Carter




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for encouraging us to get off our butts and go where God leads us.

    ReplyDelete