Sunday, May 14, 2023

72 Degree Mentality

Beyond my life experiences as an educator, I also spent over 30 years of my life either working in or operating a market/deli that our family owned. Over the course of those 30 years I held pretty much every job title available from parking lot sweeper to manager and eventually owner. I guess one of my favorite roles, outside of working the grill, was as a cashier. I enjoyed talking with our customers and over the years developed so many friendships that have endured long after we sold the business in 2010. What became a common closing to the majority of those conversations was a salutation that I carried with me beyond my years in retail to the point that it flowed out of my mouth at the end of most of my conversations. As a person turned to leave our establishment I would quip, "See you later, don't work too hard". Looking back now from my more experienced and hopefully wiser lens of life, I have to ask myself, "What were you thinking?" For over thirty years I basically advised people to take it easy on the job, don't do your best, and definitely don't work too hard!" 

 

Inherently, my intent was never to encourage mediocrity, yet as that phrase became the prevalent closing remark in conversations with my own son and daughter, I had to rethink what kind of subliminal message about work and life I really wanted to convey. Somewhere along the line, that phrase, "Don't work too hard" became more of a warning to those who were putting in a good day's work. Today I cringe when I think about the hundreds or thousands of times I made that farewell to customers, friends, and family. Over the last twenty years I have reinvented my "see you later sentiment" to more of a "work hard and do a good job" statement. In a society where working hard somehow has become equated to a lower level of life, I believe it is our responsibility to inspire every generation that we can have an iota of influence with to definitely work hard, get dirty when necessary, and always give your best. 

 

Regardless of the type of work we are doing whether it is our job, volunteer efforts, or even chores around the house, we should model and make working hard the expected norm. I recently heard a statement that aptly fits in this conversation on the state of being comfortable and not "sweating" in our day. Author and financial advisor Dave Ramsey commented that "We have become a society that leaves a 72-degree house, gets into a 72-degree car, and then arrives at our 72-degree office." This is a curt commentary on where we are as a society, yet I feel this same statement is an appropriate reflection on the mentality of "Don't work too hard". America was founded on the backs of men and women who worked hard, it is imperative that we regain that mental toughness and that we instill a work ethic that will persist through the not so comfortable hot and cold moments in life. As we raise our sons and daughters, and as we educate the next generation of leaders, let's make sure we instill in them the inert desire to work hard, work through being uncomfortable, and to always give their best. 

 

A favorite scripture of mine from the Apostle Paul reminds me that we must get outside of that 72-degree comfort zone. Colossians 3:23 says "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,". In other words, give your best and work hard, what you are doing is a direct reflection on our service to God. It is time to remove the "Don't work too hard" context from our vocabulary. Civilizations and countries were not built on the back of mediocrity and comfortable 72-degree settings. As parents it is critical that we move from a society of not wanting things to be too tough, to a mind shift of you can do tough things. This should carry over into academics in school, participation in athletics (not everyone needs to get a trophy, I'm just saying...), and most definitely on the job as we give our best and do the hard work that is necessary. What are your expectations in your own life? Do you model grit and resilience in your work life? When work gets tough do you give in or do you dig in? What lessons are you teaching those you have influence over whether it is your family, young people you teach, coach, or work with each day. Work hard, give your best, and know that you will influence someone each day, what will that takeaway be?

 

“Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will succeed.” Proverbs 16:3

Coach Carter 


 

2 comments:

  1. Work hard but work smart. Sharpen the saw on occasion, smell the flowers, and know that you did your best, had a good life, and made the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said my friend! Everything in its place and everything has a place!

    ReplyDelete