Saturday, March 14, 2020

Calm in the Face of Calamity

     
     Don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I guess I am to a certain extent. At this moment in our country and around the world there are a great number of people who are going way out of their way to a heightened level of panic, I guess that is the word, in response to the COVID-19 virus. I'm not there. Now, I don't want to sound callous or aloof to the seriousness of this extremely contagious and potentially deadly disease, but what I am saying is that I have a calm in the midst of the extreme, I am walking at a pace not running in a race, it can best be described as a calm in the face of calamity.
     I guess the first thing that I find funny is that if you remove one simple vowel from the root of the word calamity and you would have the word calm. Interesting how two words with such a distinct gulf of meaning could be so closely spelled that you might actually miss that little extra "a" in there if you just glanced at the word calamity. Just as the two words are very similar in spelling, but mean something completely different, the feelings that I am experiencing coincide in much the same way. I am attempting to stay completely abreast of news and updates as the Coronavirus spreads across the globe. I fully grasp the idea that this is a highly contagious disease and for some the potential danger of catching COVID-19 could be deadly. I also understand that a more dedicated and extreme approach is necessary at this point to get this thing under control so life is probably going to look and feel somewhat different from where we were living just a few short months ago. That being said, the calm I have isn't man made, the calm I have is mine because of a relationship that I have with my comforter, God.
     There is one particular Psalm that speaks to this calm in the midst of turmoil, probably the most well-known psalm across the world. David, King of Israel, probably wrote the 23rd psalm later in life long after he had become king, which just speaks to the level of trust David had placed in his relationship with God. I feel pretty positive that most of our readers are familiar enough with this psalm, but I'm wondering how many of us can read it and relate to the confidence David exhorts through this message of peace in the face of adversity?
     "The Lord is my Shepard I shall not want", if I have a true relationship with God I am completely content, I do not want for anything. Are there things I would like to have, yes, is there fear that shadows around me causing my mind to worry or doubt? Yes, but when I place those things in context, when I sit down and allow my mind to connect with the peace that God provides, I come to a place where I don't need anything and I fear nothing not even death, I am at peace, I want for nothing that my God doesn't already now I need. "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake." He, being God, is my provider. If I don't have this type of relationship then the type of peace David is expressing here isn't really possible. God provides me with a place of rest, God leads me out of the turbulent raging waves to a place of still, calm flowing water, God restores me when I feel I can't go on, and God leads me down the right path if only I will allow His light to illuminate my darkened way. This is how I have calm at this present time, this is where my peace flows from as I go about each day. 
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over."
     I will fear no evil. Why? Because God is with me. If you can't feel this, if you can't understand what I am saying here, it just doesn't add up or you just can't relate, you are in need of a closer relationship with the Shepherd. David says even though he may be walking through the most challenging of situations he isn't worried because he knows that God's rod and staff are there protecting and guiding him. A shepherd uses the rod to fend off predators and the staff as a tool to guide and direct the sheep as they stray from the flock. God provides us that same protection and guidance if we are counted as part of His flock. You won't know that comfort if you don't have the relationship from which that peace flows, sorry I don't know how else to explain it, if you have it you know what I am talking about, if you don't it is readily available. "Ask and ye shall recieve" Matthew 7:7.
     "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Basically, if we have this relationship with God, we have this type of confidence that we can say "surely" goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life. Surely, God will see me through this calamity, surely God has a plan for all of this, and surely God's plan is bigger than me and although I may not be able to grasp the "why" of it, I don't need to I need only trust and believe that God's plan is for good and it is my responsibility to trust in Him and continue living as best as I can under any and all circumstances. Surely God is in control and that is all I need to know. When I get to that place I can say I have a calm in the face of a calamity. I have peace and I have a comfort that is hard to embrace if you don't have that relationship with God the Creator. 
     Maybe you are reading this and you just can't buy it. I get it. I mean there was a group of men that walked, followed, and even lived with Jesus, and in the midst of a storm at sea they feared for their lives while Jesus slept peacefully underneath the deck of their boat. He was right there with them and they were afraid. We can experience fear, it is a human trait, but what did the disciples do when they were experiencing their fear of being overtaken by the waves and the storm? They went to Jesus and asked for his help. They drew near, they got closer to Jesus and what did He do? Matthew 8:23-27 tells us that Jesus rebuked the storm and it receded immediately. That is what Jesus can do in your heart, your mind, and in your storm whether it is the COVID-19 virus or some other type of calamity in your life. Turn to Him because He is there. You can experience calm in the face of calamity, you just can't experience it on your own. Draw near to God and you too will say "The Lord is my Shepherd I don't need anything else!"
Praying for each of you and praying for our country as we move through this temporary valley in life.

Coach Carter
 

No comments:

Post a Comment