Sunday, February 10, 2019

What Good is a Monument Without Forward Momentum?

    
I recently listened to a talk about "A Man, A Movement, and a Monument". These 3 M's are attainable goals for many in society today men and women alike. The idea behind this phrase is that the goal of a "man" should be to make a stand in his or her world. This "stand" or movement could be a political stance, an effort to change or improve society, or to some it could even be something like a football dynasty such as the one that Bill Belichick and Tom Brady of the New England Patriots have accomplished.
     Once the movement is established and recognized for its accomplishments, somebody needs to be acknowledged for their successes and contributions. Many times, that is done by creating a monument in honor of the person or group responsible. I'm thinking statues, buildings, gym courts, and other venues closely related to the person's cause in life. All of that is good and those that give so much should be recognized for their contributions, yet if the goal of becoming a "man" is to establish a monument to be memorialized and recognized for that work, I'm not 100% sure we are hitting the mark with a lifeless, stationary rock.
      When I think of a monument, the image that comes to the front of my mind is that of a tombstone, headstone, or some other marker in a graveyard. Statues of famous people also pop into mind with the topic of monuments. What is the purpose of a monument in the first place? To pay respect to those that have passed, creating a lasting reminder of who they were and what their contributions to society were, is wonderful and honorable, yet I would also add that if men or women work just to gain the recognition for self then the monument will ultimately be all that remains of that person's memory. What a true man or woman should be striving for is a legacy. A true legacy will outlast outperform a monument made of concrete. Legacies are what keeps the movement moving. The goal of those that work to create a lasting legacy is more concerned with the next two generations down the road. Ask yourself what are you doing today to create a lasting, positive impact on my children's children. If the only thing I will be remembered for is what God was able to accomplish through me, then I very likely fallen short of my purpose in life. The monument I want to create is a "sowing and reaping" legacy for young men and young women that become servant leaders, pouring their lives into the lives of the next generation. By accomplishing this goal my prayer is that the next generation’s leaders will instill in their children, their athletes, their students, or their communities the same work ethic and enduring faith in our Lord and Savior that I seek to instill in them.
     If I am able to achieve that goal I won't need a rock to represent a monument for my life. My monument will be visible, alive, growing, and evidenced by the lives of those that are teaching, coaching, and leading. Read Mark 8:36 which asks the question, "What hath a man gained if he inherits the whole world, but loses his soul?" I would ask you a similar question, "What will you gain if the world builds a monument to you, but at the end of the day you haven't created a movement that will continue to move? I challenge you to be a man, be a woman, and live your life with the goal of creating a movement that will long outlive you and will impact more lives after you are gone than you did when you were involved. That is the monument we should all strive to leave as our legacy!
Go out and do great things!
Coach Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment