Saturday, November 3, 2018

Hope for the Pessimist - The Grass May Be Greener on the Other Side

     
Glass half empty, I get it. Four hours in, but four more hours till quitting time, I understand where you're coming from. I can even grasp the concept of "It's a warm day outside", "Yeah, but that warm air is probably going bring rain with it." I am not a pessimist, maybe a realist, which helps me to see where those who land on the "Debbie Downer" side of things, but I can't live in that world, I see too much potential in the adversities of life. I'm pretty sure no one is outside hoping they will get caught in a torrential downpour, and if we all had our druthers we would rather have a full glass of water over the one that only has four ounces remaining, but for every negative thought that comes across our frontal lobe, I entertain a dozen positive twists on how to look at the other side of the fence. You know in this case the grass may be greener on the other side.
      The original meaning behind the old adage "The grass isn't always greener on the other side" was created to get people to realize that their condition in life may not be as bad as they think it is in comparison to someone else. But when you put things in the context of a pessimistic person's mindset they can only see that although things look bad, they will probably only get worse on their side of their fence. I have to force myself to look through the lens of this type of thinking, it just doesn't come naturally to me. For the pessimist out there I feel for you, like I said I am a realist, but the adjective I would attach to realist would be an "optimistic" realist. That's where the grass does get greener on the other side of things for me.
     When someone comments that it is such a beautiful, sunny day the pessimist declares "Yeah but it sure is hot out here." Do you know that person? Is that person you? Well when I hear that same dialogue, the optimistic realist in me replies, "Yes, it is an amazing day, and yes, it is hot enough to fry an egg on a rock, but won't we miss this when it's 7 degrees below zero here in a few months?" The realist recognizes it's hot, uncomfortably hot, but the positive optimist in me knows that in just a short period of weeks we will be wishing it was a little warmer and wishing our toes and fingers didn't feel like they were about to completely freeze! When the pessimist talks about how bad his or her condition in life is right now with a comment like "I'm stuck in this dead-end job and I'll probably be working here when I die." I would reply; "This may feel like a job that isn't going anywhere right now, but I'm capable of changing jobs if I want to put the effort into finding a new job, and while I am working here I have to be thankful that I have a job and that I am healthy enough to work at that job, which provides me with the basic necessities that I and my family need to survive." I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can be a pessimist if you want to be that is your choice in life, but at the end of the day you have to be able to look on the other side of your own personal "fence" in life and realize you do have it better than a whole bunch of someones on the other side of life.
      One of my favorite verses that the Apostle Paul gave us in his writings comes from Philippians 4:12 and it goes like this, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Paul found the answer to the pessimist, his reply would be, "I may be hungry, but I have been hungrier at times and I know there are others out there that haven't eaten as much in a month as I have thrown away in the last two days." "My glass is only half full, it may even be bone dry, but you know what, I've got a glass to fill when I finally run up on some cool, clear water to drink." I believe it comes down to believing that things are going to eventually get better, and more importantly to understand that if things don't change for the "better" it may very well be that this is where you are and where you are supposed to make the impact on others in this life you are living. At the end of the day, be a pessimist if you like, but by golly be a positive pessimist. Your life matters to someone and you can change their world from wherever your station in life is right now. You just have to realize that you do have two sides of the fence in your head, on the one side you may see that pessimistic side of things and that blurs your vision. My suggestion is get a new pair of shades and look at things from the other side of your own fence. I may have it bad, but being in this place right now will allow me to meet the needs of someone else that needs me more than I need myself! You and I both have a promise that will see us through, Paul stated it in the next verse when he proclaims that he can do ALL things through Christ which gives him his strength (Philippians 4:13). And that confidence is founded on the knowledge that God has promised to never leave us nor forsake us no matter what our condition in life may be at any given time (Hebrews 13:5). With that assurance, you have no option if you believe that God's Word is true. You may be a pessimist when it comes to your mindset in life, but when that little negative thought starts to cross your mind, stop and be thankful for whatever it is and wherever you are because that is exactly where you are supposed to be!
Coach Carter


     

No comments:

Post a Comment