Sunday, February 19, 2017

Running Uphill

  "Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified."  I Corinthians 9:24-27
     I started running a little over a year ago and know it has become a regular part of my weekly workout regimen. Of course my first motivation for running was health related, I started by walking only and have built up to where I can actually run a decent amount of distance. That was my other contributing factor, our school started a 5K run/walk last year and I wanted to be able to participate in it without falling over exhausted before I even completed the first quarter of a mile.
     The Storm Chaser 5K, as it is named us being the Tornados, is a little different from many normal runs due to the number of uphill challenges coupled with the obvious downhill accompaniments and nestled in the middle are two nice stretches of flat, straight pavement. In training for this run slatted for early April I am preparing both physically and mentally by running a similar practice route near my home that includes the same type of uphill challenges along the way. Each time I encounter an uphill section of the trail I have to dig deep to not give up and stop along the way and a tool that I have used frequently has been a big help. I find marks along the way such as a tree, a road sign, a rock, whatever happens to be available and as I reach each landmark I am encouraged that I made it that far and now I just need to make it to the next, and the next, and the next until I have ultimately reached the peak of that uphill ascent. Then after reaching the top of that hill there is invariably a down hill jog to recoup my breath. You have to train yourself to relax and take in some long, deep breaths as you go down the hill as to prepare for the upcoming hill in sight. When I make it to a stretch of flat ground then I am on cruise control and that is where you actually can make up some ground because of the easy grade of the flat terrain, knowing all along that this stretch is allowing you to get ready for the next uphill climb that is guaranteed to be right ahead.
     According to our scripture from above, Paul said you have to have a purpose in life's 5K. If we just go out to run without a purpose then it will soon feel as though we are running in vain with no goal visible. The uphill challenges will appear overwhelming, and we will run out of energy and endurance before we reach our destination. Even if we do make the pinnacle of an uphill challenge then we easily misinterpret the ensuing downhill accompaniment as a negative instead of an opportunity to prepare for our next challenge. Then when things are on cruise control in life we fail to take advantage of the place we are at and we don't give thanks for all that we have made it through and all that we have overcome that has created more endurance and perseverance in our minds, bodies, and soul. Life my friend is an uphill climb. If you aren't climbing a hill then you are sitting in a valley. Just a hint, the view gets better as you reach the top of the mountain!
     So having a purpose is of the utmost importance whether it is in athletics or if we are talking about life. Don't let yourself down by giving up on your run in life. Referring back to I Corinthians 9:24 paraphrasing Paul he says everyone is running the race, but only one will win the prize. Then he said, run or practice in such a way that you will be in contention to win. Have a purpose. Paul goes on to say that he isn't just going outside and running around in circles he has a goal, a purpose in his preparation. In your life you have got to do the same thing. If you are just going through the motions of getting up, getting ready for work, and then going to work, going through the day, finishing the day and then returning to home all without a sense of purpose or a goal accomplished you are probably feeling defeated and exhausted before you hit mile marker one in your daily 5K.
     In Angela Duckworth's book entitled "Grit The Power of Passion and Perseverance" she quotes Kat Cole, former president of the Cinnabon bakery chain as saying, "When I am around people, my heart and soul radiate with the awareness that I am in the presence of greatness. Maybe greatness unfound, or greatness underdeveloped, but the potential or existence of greatness nevertheless. You never know who will go on to do good or even great things or become the next great influencer in the world-- so treat everyone like they are that person."  If you feel like you don't have a purpose in life this would be a great place to start each day. Set your sites on helping one person realize their importance today and you my friend will be on the way to realizing your own purpose in life. I'm encouraged by the lyrics sung by the band Third Day in the song "The Mountain of God",
Even though the journey's long
And I know the road is hard
Well, the One who's gone before me
He will help me carry on
After all that I've been through
Now I realize the truth
That I must go through the valley
To stand upon the mountain of God

Run your 5k in life with a purpose and always remember you are never alone on the journey, run hard and run uphill! Coach Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment