Sunday, July 14, 2024

Life Savers

 

 When you hear the word lifesaver what comes to mind? Most likely one of two images cruise across your frontal lobe, either a fruit flavored candy or a pool accessory used to assist struggling individuals in over their head. Well, today I'd like to bring a different image to mind as you ponder on this life changing term. 

 

In the Gospel of Luke, Jesus is quoted as saying, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it." Luke 9:23-24. Well now, isn't that quite the paradox? I can't think of too many things in this world that by losing them you in essence secure the thing that you lost. Common knowledge tells us that when we lose something there is a probable chance that we may never find it. Yet, in this case, Jesus says that to "save" or find eternal life you must first give up or "lose" your life. I suppose the question then is what do we have to do to "lose" our life? 

 

Losing your life in this context isn't referring to a literal death, but instead, symbolic ways that we give our life to gain more back in return. Sacrifice, self-denial, and service or we could call them the "Selfless S's" are all about losing self by doing for others. The dictionary defines sacrifice as "an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy." When we talk about self-denial the focus is more on what I can do for others, instead of what can others do for me. And the third term, service, references the idea of helping others especially those who may be less fortunate than ourselves. The Bible is full of examples of men and women of God who lived out the Selfless S's in their walk with God. Ruth, made the choice to go wherever Naomi, her mother-in-law went and to live out her life with her even though her husband, Naomi's son, had died and she really had no commitment to Naomi (Ruth1:16-17). 

 

If you haven't figured it out over the years, Paul is a Bible hero to me. His service to God in spreading the Word of God and establishing Christianity across the Mediterranean coast and into Asia Minor. After Paul's conversion on the Damascus Road, he spent the rest of his life serving Christ. Not only did Paul expand the church, but he also served Christ by recording thirteen books of the New Testament. But, ultimately we have the primal example of being a life saver thru the life and teachings of Jesus. 

 

Jesus lived a sinless life, humble, sacrificing selflessly, and denying His own life so that we can today receive eternal life with Him in Heaven. If there is need of a model of self-sacrifice through both service and denial of self, Jesus lives it out in His prayer to His Father just before His arrest and impending crucifixion. "And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matthew 26:39. 

 

 Basically, Jesus said I am willing to save humanity even if it is going to cost me my own life. 

That is the life I want to live out. Am I successful doing that every day, no I am human, but do I have a model to follow and a desire to live out this life I have been given as a servant leader, most certainly. Today, I ask you to make that same commitment to serve God without a thought of how it will impact yourself positively or not so positively, and to do so in a sacrificial manner that basically says "Thy will be done, not my own". (Matt. 26:39).

 

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

Coach Carter


 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment