Sunday, April 11, 2021

Taking the Governor Off

I'm not mechanically inclined, I'll be the first to admit it. I hate it because I would love to be that guy that can come up on a stranded vehicle and upon raising the hood listen to what happens when the vehicle attempts to start, and be able to diagnose the problem and then proceed to fix it. Not me. The extent of my mechanical expertise ends at placing battery cables on a stranded car and boosting their car off of my vehicle's battery. I will say that has come in handy on numerous occasions over the years, but it really just adds to my vision of me under the hood of a car, tinkering with the motor until it ultimately starts. Side note, I am a pretty capable flat tire changer, experience is the ultimate teacher! 

I say all of this as a lead into today's Flat Tire thought. There is a certain vehicular component called a governor. Now, my knowledge of governors has to do with the ladies and gentlemen that lead our states across our great United States of America. But growing up I often heard friends and fathers of friends talking about cranking up or possibly removing the governor off their dirt bike, four-wheeler, or some other type of recreational vehicle. In my mind, I just couldn't get the image of a mechanic trying to remove something that somehow resembled a 50-year-old man in a suit and tie. Like I said I wasn't very mechanically inclined! What I finally pieced together without wanting to look really auto illiterate, was that a governor on a vehicle limits the speed that the engine can attain.  I'm thinking something along the line of a restrictor. (Listen to me sounding all mechanically inclined)

Governors for someone that is just starting to ride motor bikes or some other type of recreational vehicle offer an additional layer of safety. One of the worst things possible for an inexperienced operator is to speeding out of control headed for a tree and not remembering how to slow down or stop! (Personal experience) As the rider improves their skill set and become more comfortable with some additional horsepower, then the governor can be relaxed or even removed if so desired. 

For motorcycles or four wheelers governors are necessary and an important feature for new riders. When it comes to our faith, we shouldn't ever place a governor on what is possible with God. Too often, we fail to believe in His omnipotence and omniscient presence in our lives. In Matthew 19:26 Jesus reminds us that "with man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible". Jesus' statement didn't say some things are possible with God, unless they are too big of a challenge, no what He said was ALL things are possible with God. Healing from a disease or medical condition, ALL things are possible. Overcoming relational challenges, ALL things are possible. Release from drug addiction, financial avalanche, or even a lifetime of abuse or neglect Jesus says that with God ALL things are possible. Us on our own, impossible. 

Don't limit God in your circumstances, scripture is true, if you don't ask for it don't expect to get it (Matthew 7:7). Don't let your lack of faith become a governor that hinders God's power in your life. We ask in faith, we trust in faith, and our faith comforts us knowing that when prayers are answered God has intervened. But know this, that same faith is reinforced when our prayers are not answered in the manner we ask. Faith tells us that God is bigger than anything we can imagine, and the answers to our prayers may be delayed, modified, or completely opposite of what we asked, but faith tells us to trust even in those instances. ALL things are possible with God. Ask Lazarus. Not on his own, but through divine intervention Lazarus walked out of his tomb! Lazarus would tell you just as the Apostle Paul proclaimed "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13. I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I do know who holds tomorrow! Trust and believe. My God is bigger than anything this world can throw my way and He will be there for you just the same! Amen.

Coach Carter



 

No comments:

Post a Comment