Sunday, June 17, 2018

Zig, Zag, Zoom!

     
As I was sitting outside this morning, preparing my mind for some time in prayer and meditation, I paused momentarily just to take in the calm of the morning and the beauty of God's creation. I am blessed to be surrounded by a forest of trees which provides an abundance of wildlife and a vast collection of plants, wildflowers, and skyward seeking trees. Many times, I get in such a hurry that I fail to take in the beauty of this scene which is so readily available to me each and every day. Mental note: "Take more time to do nothing more than look around and say Thank You!" To extenuate this point, one of my tiny hummingbird friends buzzed onto the scene this morning wanting to get his fill of the nectar that I have provided for my zippy guests. Caught in the moment of "looking around" my mind started pondering the actions of my fine, feathered friend and his hurried actions that he displays in his hunt for nourishment.
     If you've ever had the chance to watch a hummingbird as it approaches a feeder then you know how amazing the spectacle actually is. Hummingbirds beat their wings up to 70 beats per second and over 1,000 beats in a single minute. They dash to the right, they zig to the left, back and forth never circling an object but more acting like a lazar they dart right and left, back and forth until they reach what must appear to be a safe approach. Obviously, based on the size of this tiny creature, caution and apprehension collect a great deal of this bird's thought processes each flap of his wings. When the birds first migrate back to our back porch it is apparent that the trust issue is at the forefront of their attention. The zipping, zigging, and zagging back and forth is all done in the context of assuring that this is a safe area to visit. In the early stages the hummingbirds won't rest on the perches but instead dangle suspended in air taking in the nectar with their pointy beaks. As days turn into weeks the tiny hummingbirds eventually begin to trust that we aren't going to be a threat and their buzzing around results in the tiny birds resting their wings and enjoying a more leisurely breakfast meal. It is rewarding and comforting to me to observe this band of hummers come to a place of trust to the point that they will rest and sup with us almost at arms grasp.
      Our relationship with God can be compared to this episode in nature. We rush here and we zip there giving little time to the things in life that are of real significance. We hold back and hold out on placing our trust and faith in our Creator. I'm not sure if it is fear, but I am certain it is the fear of trusting that God's love for us is actually possible. Our mind races back and forth just like the hummingbird, "How could a God love me when I have done all that I have done in life?", or "How is it possible that God knows everything and controls all of creation?" Or even "How can I trust a God that I can't see to help me in the condition my life is in right now?" I can literally see the hummingbird in your mind darting from one perspective to the other end of the spectrum attempting to reason and find a safe space to land! Proverbs 3:5-6 promises this "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
     In our quest for a safe place to land, safety can only be found in trust. Finding nourishment for our thirsty soul is found in trusting that the God that made you, is the same God that will be with you in all of life's struggles, dangers, pitfalls, and tragedies. He will provide nourishment for your mind, soul, and body when you make the decision to trust in Him. Will the dangers of life disappear suddenly when you make this commitment of faith? Although possible, probably not, but just as the hummingbird begins to rest on the perch of our bird feeder, you too will begin to trust in the Lord and take rest in the comforting peace that is only possible in Him.

Coach Carter

2 comments:

  1. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such nice information.

    who to call when you get a flat in East Petersburg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessed to have the opportunity to share! Thanks

    ReplyDelete