Sunday, April 22, 2018

Don't Make Excuses, Make It Happen!

      My friend and mentor during my first year in my new position working in Career & Technical Education, KC Alvarado, recently added a quote from a legendary American entrepreneur and motivational speaker/author named Jim Rohn to her email template. (You know it's pretty common today for people to place a motivational quote, scripture, or saying at the bottom of their emails, just a hint, it might not be a bad idea to read a few of those every now and then, they generally have motivated the sender and often times may very well serve as a motivation to the reader!)I'm just saying... I enjoyed this quote so much that I have found myself relating it to my daily schedule and also to how I have responded to some not so cozy situations in my everyday walk. Mr. Rhon's quote goes like this, “If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” In today's FTM Thought we are going to take a look at how this simple yet powerful quote can propel each of us forward or how it just as easily can serve as an anchor to keep us exactly where we currently reside in life. Unfortunately the outcomes of how we live in accordance to this quote can actually take us backwards if we allow our minds to talk us out of taking some chances or accepting some challenges. Let's dig in a little deeper shall we?
      How true Jim Rhon's statement is. Think about it if you really want to do something you're going to make it happen. Of course I'm speaking from my own experience and positive mindset, but I guess some of you out there are stirring this around in your head thinking "you know I rarely ever have the opportunity to do something outside my daily, regularly scheduled day." Or you may be thinking, "well he doesn't know what I have going on, there are so many obstacles in my path that I just don't have the chances to do that thing that I have always dreamed of doing." Guess what? If you had those thoughts cross your mind you are exactly the person Jim Rhon was addressing with this motivational mantra.
     I'm guessing if you would take a few minutes to really think about all the things you have always wanted to do, but haven't you could make a list of reasons why you haven't successfully accomplished those goals. It may be that the things on your list aren't goals, but instead they are things that you need to do, but your escape mechanism is creating a boat load of reasons why you can't make them happen. Think about it, that's exactly what the quote in today's blog is all about, we don't actually want to do some things because they take us out of our comfort zone, or we don't really want to exert the energy needed to accomplish the goal that is set in front of us. When there is something out there that needs our attention, but we do not seize the opportunity, we convince ourselves that we don't want to do it. That is an excuse in itself. If you don't want to do something you will find a way out of doing it. Is that healthy? Is that what you were created for? I'm sorry, but I don't think so.
     I have to believe that there are so many things that are out there for me to still accomplish and I want to make sure that "I" am not the very stumbling block that will prevent me from doing those things I want to accomplish. On the cover of a writing journal I picked up the other day was a quote that read "I haven't been all around the world, but I have it on my list". Don't let yourself keep you from doing what you are intended to do in this world. It doesn't necessarily have to be traveling around the world, it can be as simple as going to visit a friend that you haven't seen in years. It's easy to talk yourself out of going on that visit if you don't really, really want to go. You'll convince yourself that you just don't have time to do that, you have deadlines, appointments, etc... and you just don't have time. Excuse, excuse, excuse. It is much easier to make an excuse and then not do what needs to be done, but that doesn't make it right or acceptable. You have to be able to stop, process your priorities, and then make a decision about what needs your attention or what needs to be done.
       Two scriptures come to mind when I think about today's message. The first goes out to all those that make their "escapegoat" self-deprivation. I can't do that because, I'm not strong enough, I'm not smart enough, I don't know how to do that, I don't have time, I've never been able to do that. Again, excuse, excuse, excuse, and excuse! Remember "If you want to do something you'll find a way!" My Bible tells me that "I can do ALL things through Christ which gives me strength" Philippians 4:13 (My emphasis on ALL), but I believe if Paul had an all caps button he would have used it there as well. You may not get it done like the textbook explanation describes it, but if you want to see something become a reality, you can do it! That just doesn't apply to work or maybe sports, this scripture says ALL things. Your family, your marriage, your children, your goals, your challenges, or overcoming the tragic events that happen in your life are all subject to this verse in life's motivational guidebook. If it is important enough to you then you will find a way to make it happen. Stop, if you are saying well that isn't important to me so that is why I'm not going to do _____________, then make sure you aren't lying to yourself and that the "I don't want to attitude" isn't your fall back excuse in all of life's not so comfortable situations. That happens way too easy for way too many people!
     The other scripture that comes to mind is one I refer to frequently when I start to tap out with an excuse of I can't do that. Psalm 121:1-2 reminds me that "... my strength comes from the Lord, maker of Heaven and Earth". If my strength comes from God then how could I ever make the excuse that "I can't" do whatever it is I'm about to bow out of due to lack of skill, time, or resources? If you have a personal relationship with the Creator of Heaven and Earth, then what exactly can He not do in your life? What right do you have to limit His power or His authority over all things that exist? Trust and believe, dig in deeper, pray harder, trust longer, and hold tight to your faith and hope. You can do all things "through" Christ, that is the key. On our own, yes we are limited to what we can do, that is why we usually make excuses, because we are thinking about the likelihood of us being able to do things on our own. If that is where you are residing, you are right, you may have more than an excuse to fall back on in your decision-making process. Yet, if you know your Maker and you believe in Him, then you do not have an excuse to make, you just have to hold tight and never stop believing. 
     My prayer for each of you today is that you have a relationship with your Maker, and if you don't that you will seek Him, He is always there and you will find Him if you only look! Once you have that relationship established, a true relationship that is based on spending time together with your Lord and Savior, your list of excuses will start to fade and your list of accomplishments will start to grow. May this week be a week of saying "Yes I can" and "yes I will"! GO, GO, GET"EM GO!
Coach Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment