Sunday, January 15, 2017

Headed Downstream? Choose Your Destination

     I love the water, whether it's swimming or boating I feel at home in a creek, lake, river, or ocean. Over the past several years I have been introduced to the sport of kayaking and that has become my water sport of choice. Flat water kayaking around the lake is good for a workout or just to relax exploring the coves and islands of the lake, but nothing compares to floating or running downstream on a river. The appeal of a river and the unknown adventures it provides makes kayaking a new experience each time you put in and head down the rapids.
     My first experiences with whitewater were connected to river rafting trips. Eight to ten people loaded onto an inflatable raft, oars in and out of the water paddling and resting to the commands of the river guide situated in the back of the raft. Whitewater rafting is a fun experience, yet for the most part the guide is navigating the boat and the "crew" only provide the muscle to move the boat into position for a good run for the next rapid ahead. But as we traveled downstream I was always infatuated by the kayaks and the way they skirted in and out of the rapids playfully moving at their own pace and choosing which way they would each attack the upcoming rapid along the river's course. I knew this would be my next progression in running rivers.
     I learned pretty quickly that kayaking may look simple, but it is actually a very complex and challenging sport. That is if your plan is to stay on top of the water as you move downstream. In the early stages of my induction to kayaking I found an instructor, sage, named Dave Crawford of Rapid Expeditions on the Pigeon River. I was having a great deal of trouble staying on top of the water as I would near a rapid and Dave pulled me to the side and gave me a piece of advice that I will never forget. His training tip paraphrased went something like this. When a kayaker is headed downstream into a rapid it is easy to get distracted and get caught up worrying about the rocks on either side of you and the gurgling whitewater that lies in front of you. These obstacles in front of your goal can cause you to lose your focus on the goal of running the rapid and enjoying the ride as you go. Mr. Crawford's advice was to pick out a spot downstream and then stay focused on that spot and head straight for it. Pick out a destination, chart a course, and then stay focused on that destination. Don't get distracted by the rocks, obstacles, and whitewater capping in front of you, stay the course and you will be fine. Believe me that piece of advice made a difference for me as I moved into the sport of kayaking and that same piece of advice has made an impressible impact on my life.
     As Dave was explaining the downstream target tip to me, my mind instantly started comparing his whitewater advice to how we approach life and the goals we must set along our life's course. The analogous comparison of rivers and life motivates me anyway and here I had been given a life lesson right in the midst of my early whitewater kayak training. In life we are all headed downstream and whether we have an intentional goal or if we are just drifting along as we go, we are all headed in the same direction, not many of us are attempting to float upstream, I 'm just saying. When we set a goal in life whatever level of goal it is there is going to be obstacles in front of us that will try to hinder us, sidetrack us, and even some obstacles that will try to capsize us and leave us stranded in a whirlpool of despair and hopeless loss. If we aren't careful those obstacles will eventually drag us down to the bottom of the river and cut our journey short and keep us from reaching our goal.
     Just as my river instructor's advice helped me navigate and overcome my difficulty with running a rapid, so too can this same advice help us in life. When we decide on a goal we have to stay focused on it. We can't get distracted and discouraged with the obstacles that lie in front of us as we take the steps necessary to reach our goal. We have to stay focused and to do that we keep our eyes on the prize. Paul provided a lesson for us that applies well here in I Corinthians 9:24-26 as he wrote, "Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step...". Paul in our river analogy is saying we are all going downstream and along the way many of us are going to capsize our kayak, but if you keep your eye on the prize you will reach your destination. 
     As you set goals in life my advice today is to pick out a spot downstream and then go for it! Don't let people, circumstances or situations, doubts, fears, or anything else cause you to lose focus and make you feel that you can't reach your goal. Stay focused, determined, and have faith that you will reach your goal if you only keep your eye on the prize downstream! 
Stay strong and remember as long as we have hope we have a chance to see our plans become reality! 
Coach Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment