Sunday, July 31, 2016

Who's Back Do You Have?

     Who can you count on when the going gets tough? Do you have someone that you can think of that would be there for you no matter the time of day or the magnitude of the task that you needed their help? My brother Bob is one of those people that has gotten me out of some sticky situations and has always been there to support me during some of my toughest spots. I remember one time in my youth when I was in Cub Scouts there was a rocket derby that I was supposed to have prepared a rocket to participate in the annual race. Well I had procrastinated and spent most of my time playing in the creek and around the barn. The day of the race slipped up on me and as you can probably guess, my rocket was not ready. Mom told me I had to go to support my troop and as I cried and pleaded to not go as to avoid the embarrassment of being the only Scout with no rocket, Bob volunteered to ride along in the car and help me finish the rocket on the way to the park. I not only was able to participate in the derby, but I won first place! The trophy sits on a shelf in my office today as a reminder that we can't always do life on our own. That is one story among a myriad list of times Bob has been there for me in life. It's pretty safe to say that my brother Bob has "got my back". The bigger question in this week's Flat Tire Ministries (FTM) Thought for the Week would be, who out there would answer that YOU are the person that they would call on no matter what the situation? In our families hopefully you are someone that your spouse and children can count on to pull them through the tough times in life. Outside of your immediate family though, how many people would answer that you are the person that they would "dial a friend" if they needed someone that they could count on to be there?
     I'm reminded of a story I read in one of John Maxwell's books about two soldiers that were foxhole partners during WWII. Separated while under attack one of the soldiers was injured and trapped in a foxhole. Moaning, and lamenting the injuries he had received during the attack, the wounded soldier pleaded for help while the bullets were zinging around and over the heads of the entire platoon. Against the orders of his commanding officer, the wounded soldier's partner took out across the battle line, to retrieve his friend. Upon returning to his platoon the injured soldier had died and his rescuer was also mortally wounded.  The platoon leader angered at the loss of not one, but two of his men said "what a waste, he's dead and now you are going to die as well." The dying soldier looked at his sergeant and shared this valiant rescue story.  "You're wrong Sarge, when I got to the foxhole he was still alive and he looked me in the eyes and said,  Jim I knew you would come!"
     As my eyes well up with tears with the thought that this young man in his heart knew his friend would be there no matter what, I have to ask myself "to whom would I be there?" Who is there out there that believes in their heart that I would be there for them?  In my job as principal of an elementary school, what kind of leader am I? Do my students trust me to come to their aid if needed? Do my coworkers trust that I have their back no matter what? Have I or do I make all efforts to give them that peace of mind about my support of them? In my friendships would my friends feel comfortable calling me at 2:00AM to help them with their broke down car, or would they instead call for emergency roadside assistance? Am I a friend in need or a friend when I have needs?
     Look deep inside and be honest with yourself, ask yourself some tough questions and provide some real answers. If you aren't that person for somebody in your job, your social circle, or in your circle of influence then it's time you put the focus on someone other than yourself! Go about the business of becoming a person that others can count on during the small stuff in life and also in the tough spots of their life.  John 15:13 guarantees us that "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." Be that person in school, at work, to your neighbor, friends, a complete stranger (remember the good Samaritan??), and always, always with your family!
I got your back! Have a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment